Phase One Digital Camera Backs for Hasselblad
Hasselblad, also known as Victor Hasselblad AB, is a Swedish manufacturer of scanners, cameras, and photography accessories. Hasselblad was founded in 1841, and despite being a very small operation manufacturing only 10, 000 cameras a year out of a small space, has enjoyed many prestigious historical accomplishments. Hasselblad cameras were mounted on Apollo program spacecraft and were used to capture many iconic images of WWII. Key technological achievements in photography by Hasselblad include the focal plane shutter and later automated focal plane shutters.
Camera backs mount behind the camera, connecting to both the camera lens and a nearby computer. They enable cameras like Hasselblads XF models capture digital images, even though they were designed only to capture images with film. In many cases, high-end professional cameras are prohibitively expensive and many professional photographers can save substantially on the cost of adopting new cameras by simply updating existing cameras with extensions like a digital back. For photographers who enjoy shooting in both mediums, having a camera back with these qualities is also an easy way to have the same camera provide both functions.
Hasselblad Phase One digital cameras are primarily available in medium format, with attached lens options and digital sensor and shutter technology. Popular families include the Hasselblad H5D, the Phase One XF, and the Hasselblad H6D. Each family contains many models, like the IQ1, IQ250, IQ260, and IQ350. In many cases, the model is related to the cameras ISO range. Finding a digital back for the Hasselblad Phase One cameras should be a relatively simple exercise, and ideally, any camera back should come with the appropriate lens cables, software, and other accessories.
How Can I Determine Which Hasselblad Camera Back I Need?
The process for determining which back your camera needs is relatively simple.
- With the lens covered and the camera turned off, turn it upside-down and check the bottom of the camera for the make, model and ISO range.
- When looking for a Hasselblad camera back, ensure that the one you purchase matches that make and model.
- As an extra precaution, measure the dimensions of your current camera back, and ensure the replacement meets those specifications.
How Do I Choose The Best Digital Back?
There are many different things to look for and consider when choosing a digital back for your camera.
- Make sure that there is no damage to the sensor. Even small scratches can have deleterious effects.
- Ensure the digital black has a cord to connect to the lens, as well as all other necessary accessories.
- Ideally, the digital back should come with computer software to allow communication to the digital back. Most digital backs are manufactured to be used while connected to a computer in a studio setting.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Hasslblad.