Your Guide to Picking Ribbon Embroidery Kits
With its lush textures, ribbon embroidery is an intricate and rewarding craft. The larger texture of the ribbons means it is generally quicker than thread embroidery while also providing an interesting 3D look. Using ribbon embroidery kits makes it easy for beginners to give this hobby a try, and kits can also be a fun challenge for those more experienced enthusiasts.What are some common ribbon embroidery kit themes?
One of the most important parts of selecting a kit is choosing one with a design booklet you enjoy. Since you are going to be spending a lot of time looking at the design, you should pick a theme you like. Some common options include:
- Flowers and other plants
- Animals and insects
- Hearts and other decorative shapes
- Holiday motifs
- Sayings and mottos
A stamped kit is one that comes with the design lightly printed on the fabric. This lets you follow the design more easily, so it can be quite helpful if you are a beginner. Most stamped kits are meant to be lightly washed after embroidery, so the printed backing is eventually removed. That's why these kits are usually made from sturdier fabrics with more colorfast ribbons.What are some key characteristics of ribbon embroidery brands?
Different brands tend to have their own unique style for ribbon embroidery kits. Here are some things you can expect with some of the leading brands.
- Bucilla: Bucilla has been around for a while, so a lot of the vintage kits from the 1980s are made by this company.
- Creative Beginnings: This company has a lot of ribbon embroidery kits done on brooches, pins, and other wearable pieces.
- True Colors: True Colors mostly does sampler kits with framed embroidery. Their fun and simple designs often include less common motifs like cats and trees.
- Dimensions: This company produces elaborate designs that create very detailed pieces of artwork when completed.
Many kits will include a frame that you can use to display your ribbon embroidery as artwork after it is complete. However, this is not your only choice for a ribbon background. Ribbon embroidery can also be used for pillowcases, postcards, clothing, napkins, and other decorative pieces. Many kits will include the pieces needed to assemble things like embroidered jewelry or hats.Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Bucilla, Creative Beginnings, True Colors, or Dimensions.